Fluent Survey: TurboTax Dominates 2016 Tax SeasonApril 11, 2016 | By Fluent
Publication date 4/11/16
Fluent found that most taxpayers are having a relatively easy time with the filing process. Few taxpayers plan to procrastinate on their taxes, as 5 in 6 filed or planned to file before the beginning of April. Additionally, nearly 3 in 4 (74%) expect refunds, and close to 7 in 10 (69%) are filing electronically.
Other key findings include:
- Refunds abound. Of the nearly 3 in 4 (74%) who have received or expect refunds, just over half (54%) plan to save rather than spend them.
- More than half seek help. Just over half (53%) of taxpayers get help to prepare their taxes. Of the taxpayers who get help, most hire professionals (41% of all filers).
- H&R Block dominates tax prep firms. H&R Block is the tax prep firm to beat as roughly 1 in 3 (34%) who hired help used H&R Block to prepare their taxes.
- Most do-it-yourself filers purchase software to help. 41% of all filers purchase software to assist them in doing their taxes themselves. These taxpayers most often picked a software product because it was cost effective (56%).
- TurboTax is the dominant tax software. A majority (52%) using software to do their taxes themselves choose TurboTax. When asked why they chose their tax software, TurboTax customers were more likely than other respondents to say they chose it because it is “easy to use” (43% vs. 38%) or that they are confident in the product (17% vs. 11%).
“With most taxpayers filing electronically and getting refunds, completing a tax return feels less intimidating than ever for many taxpayers,” said Matt Conlin, president of Fluent. “The leading online software programs have established well-deserved reputations for being affordable, easy to use and highly accurate, which has led to nearly 7 out of 10 Americans choosing to use them come tax season.”
Fluent is the premier database marketing company that is regularly publishing consumer market research leveraging its massive reservoir of proprietary audience data and real-time survey platform. The company surveys over 500,000 American adults and generates over 5.5 million unique survey responses each day. Insights gleaned from Fluent’s surveys fuel highly relevant and precise ad targeting and lookalike modeling, and are also used for the rapid execution of market research.
To download the full report, “The Tax Man Cometh, and That’s OK: Taxpayer Attitudes Not All Doom and Gloom in 2016,” please visit: http://fluentinc.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Fluent_Tax_Infographic_2016-1.pdf