Publication date 6/15/2016
Fluent, LLC, an IDI company (NYSE MKT:IDI) and an industry leader in people-based digital marketing and customer acquisition, today released a new research report relating to the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) 2016 taking place June 13-17, 2016 in San Francisco. The research from Fluent focuses on understanding customer expectations for Apple’s future product lines, particularly its iPhone smartphone line.
Fluent’s research, based on a poll of 2,144 American adults conducted on June 3, 2016, found that:
- Expectations are low for future releases. Less than 3 in 10 expect the next update of the iPhone (29%), Mac (24%), Apple TV (21%), or iPad (20%) to be a major upgrade.
- Siri is not a major interest to consumers. An upgraded Siri rated next to last (6%) among new features consumers wanted in the next iPhone release. Only 17% of iPhone users say they use Siri all the time, and only 19% say that a vastly improved Siri would make them much more likely to purchase the newest generation iPhone.
- Automotive technology and televisions are potential future growth opportunities. Consumers cited automotive consoles (29%), self-driving cars (25%), and televisions (20%) as the products they would most like to see Apple make next.
- iPhone users are highly loyal to Apple. 87% of iPhone users say they will purchase another iPhone for their next smartphone, higher than the 74% of Android users who say they will purchase an Android phone for their next smartphone.
- Consumers are most apt to purchase a new iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus because of new features (38%). The top new feature requested is wireless charging (34%).
- Apple competitors are seen as catching up. A majority of consumers (56%) believe Apple’s competitors have gained ground on Apple in the past few years.
“Overall, Apple needs to recapture that ‘wow’ factor, and could potentially do so with more aggressive moves into the automotive and television markets,” said Matt Conlin, President of Fluent. “Many consumers have been trained not to expect major improvements in Apple’s new releases. Our research indicates low expectations for the new iPhone, iPad and Mac, with nearly half of consumers expecting little to no change in the next generation of products.”
Fluent is the premier database marketing company that is regularly publishing consumer market research leveraging its massive reservoir of proprietary audience data and real-time survey platform. The company surveys over 500,000 American adults and generates over 5.5 million unique survey responses each day. Insights gleaned from Fluent’s surveys fuel highly relevant and precise ad targeting and lookalike modeling, and are also used for the rapid execution of market research.
To view the full results of the survey, please visit: