Research shows that women account for 85% of overall consumer spending to the tune of $7 trillion*, in the United States. With a figure that large (and growing), it’s becoming increasingly important for digital marketers to understand how to resonate with them.
In conjunction with our sponsorship of the 12th annual Marketing to Women Summit being held in New York City this week, Fluent released a new research report, Marketing to Women 2016.
The report reveals the results of a new Fluent poll of 1,443 American women that was designed to better understand the impact of online and offline marketing channels on their purchasing decisions and how engagement varies across different age groups.
Some of the key findings include:
- Digital marketing channels are more likely to drive purchases among women who engage with them: 72% of women who sign up for mobile notifications, 71% of those who follow brands on social media, and 53% of those who have signed up for email marketing newsletters say that these marketing channels have made them “more likely to make a purchase.”
- More than half of women say they sometimes download mobile shopping apps for the stores they regularly visit: 55% say they sometimes download mobile shopping apps for the stores they regularly visit, but 76% say they primarily use these apps just to browse merchandise.
- Facebook dominates for following brands: 77% of women said that Facebook is their preferred social media network for following brands.
- Women overwhelmingly prefer gender-neutral ads: 73% of women say they sometimes receive marketing messages directed specifically to women, however 74% say they prefer marketing messages to be gender-neutral.
* Greenfield Online for Arnold’s Women’s Insight Team, see http://m2w.biz/fast-facts/
About the Report:
The survey was conducted online within the United States by Fluent, LLC on April 21, 2016 among 1,443 American women. Respondents were randomly selected, and the margin of error of the findings for smartphone or tablet owners at the 95% confidence level is +/- 2.6%. Due to rounding, percentages may not always add up to 100%. Fluent’s proprietary ad serving technology includes a real-time survey module that was used to facilitate the data collection for this study.
Enter details below and download the report for free